Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Take Off



On my walks to school in the morning,  I still can't believe I'm here. I've been working and hoping for this for almost four years, but it still seems crazy to me that I am halfway around the globe. I'll see the mountains in the distance and a beautiful, very Irish house and remember how ridiculous it is.



I arrived in Dublin at 5 AM on Saturday (midnight in NC) and realized the bus I had planned to take wouldn't be leaving for another hour and a half. The friendly people of Ireland helped me figure out another bus to take, then another person pointed me towards the hostel, and then I asked another person since I was rolling my suitcase down the empty streets of Dublin in the pitch black morning. I was really just eager to see my sister. And to not be a walking target.

I am hopeless without Google maps, and the second time I asked a man for help, he walked me to my hostel. I could of cried when I walked in. After waiting a bit inside, a guy at the desk asked if I was Amber's sister and helped me check in early. When I opened the door to the room, Amber ran outside to me and it felt so surreal!

We had a beautiful day with Laura, Amber's flatmate, and I'm still surprised I made it through without passing out. We walked the beautiful Bray Head on Saturday, heard some Irish pub music, and explored Dublin. I'm eager to get back into the city, mostly for the scones at Queen of Tarts.

The children at my school are WONDERFUL. I get to work one on one with a couple of students, and I love hearing their observations. Even though we both speak English, there is still somewhat of a language barrier!






No comments:

Post a Comment